Monday, December 30, 2013

Indoor Snow and Science

Another pin on Pintrest that I just couldn't wait to try with the kids.This one came from Growing a Jeweled Rose. It's a sensory activity as well a as a science one.

Caution- If you do find a project online that has you mixing ingredients that you have never mixed together before take these steps. Research it. Test it in a safe well ventilated location. Be cautious. Be sure it's safe before introducing it to children.

These are my instructions below. As always I switched it up from the original a little bit.

Ingredients
  • Baking Soda- a box
  • Shaving Cream- I used the kind for sensitive skin just to be on the safe side.
  • Vinegar
  • Spray bottle- optional
  • Waxed paper or plastic table cloth - this is for parents that like easy to clean projects.
Instructions

Slowly mix the baking soda and the shaving cream together. Until it starts having some of the same stick factors of good snowman building snow. In other words if you can form a ball with it.

Then let the kids play away. I asked the kids to make something fun on some waxed paper. They could do anything. The kids came up with a snowman, volcano, faces and a reindeer.

I put the vinegar in a spray bottle. I did this to make it less messy on our flat surface. 

When done playing and making fun things with the "Snow" take your vinegar and spray it onto your project.

Watch the fun.

The Volcano Erupting

The kids loved watching their projects foam up and took turns spraying more vinegar onto them. It was a big hit with all of them ages 4 to 11.


Clean up was simple. Since I used waxed paper I could fold up most of the mess and throw it away.  




Post a Comment

Reminder

This blog may contain cookies.