Friday, December 20, 2013

Phil Robertson in the News


I've watched Duck Dynasty. I'm not one that watched every episode or anything. Just clicked it on once in a while. It is good comfort TV. Doesn't take much thinking, it's funny and it does have some good morals. It kind of reminds me of the shows that I grew up with. I can understand why it's been so popular. But right now it's on the verge of being changed or canceled.  Everyone is in an uproar.

Here is why. It's all over the news that Phil Robertson from the reality TV show Duck Dynasty said this or that and insulted this group and that group. As always we believe what these shows or articles are saying. We don't research into it. And as always the only way you are going to get the hole truth is to go directly to the source.

I think of this hole ordeal as I would if one of my kids came down to tattle on another. I'm only getting part of the story. The part I am getting is what child one wants me to hear. Am I going to punish child two?

No. I need to hear the rest of the story. First I ask questions.

Sometimes it's really hard not to just jump the gun when you hear what child one said. I have to say to myself I wasn't there, I don't know what happened.

Media is exactly like child one. It's going to tell the dramatic story to get your attention. It's not going to tell you exactly what was said if it isn't going to get your attention going in the direction it wants.

I like to be up to date on what is going on. I have chosen however to pick and choose what that is because of the constant lies I encounter from the Media. Ok they aren't always lies but twists of the truth. They are in so much of a hurry to report before anyone else that they don't look into everything that they should. So then I look like an idiot if I ever quote what they said. Very irritating.

Your asking me why I'm taking this story of Phil Robertson so seriously. I find this instance very personally because it involves the word of God. And I know this because I read what the original interviewer wrote.

GQ- this is the actual interview and on the page where the homosexual quote comes into play. This is the only part of the interview I'm going to comment about because it's the one that has caused the most trouble.

I however wasn't there, I don't know what happened. I don't know how things were said. I just know what the interviewer wrote that Phil said. I also only know how I am perceiving it.

My perception is.  That Phil Robertson was grouping all sin together. He just happened to start with homosexuality. He was sure to share what the bible said about the sins. Those that do these sins will not inherit the kingdom of God. However Phil will still treat all sinners with love and share the news that Jesus died on the cross for those sins. Period. Nothing more, nothing less.

I may not agree how he said what he did. Sometimes things come out of our mouths not quite how we want, I know for a fact because it happens to me all the time. Not everyone is eloquent or practiced in speech.

I do however agree with those that say he had a right to state his opinion.  Just because he is a celebrity does not exclude him from rights of speech.

As for him getting fired from the show. All I have to say is that A&E knew that he preached the bible. If they didn't want him to say anything to the press than that could have been stipulated in the contract for the show.

You had a right at any time to stop reading if you didn't like what I had to say. No offense would be taken if you did stop reading or if you don't agree. These are just my thoughts on the subject. Nothing more, Nothing less.


Post a Comment

Reminder

This blog may contain cookies.