Saturday, January 25, 2014

Handmade Laundry Detergent with Some Mayhem

This containers only hold half of all the detergent I made with this recipe.


I've been eyeballing this homemade laundry detergent receipt I found on Pinterest for months now. Just waiting for my liquid detergent to run out. It finally did. I got brave and went shopping with my list from How Does She.

The Original Ingredients were.

 4lb 12oz Box of Borax
3lb Box of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
3lb Oxy Clean
14.1 oz Bar of Zote Soap
4lb Box of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda
55oz Bottle of Purex Lavender Crystals Fabric Softener

As always I decide to tweak a few ingredients. I have people with sensitive skin and I did look into this before starting my shopping. Honestly some of these ingredients are more harmful than I like but buying essential oils instead have me worried even more. Because I know so little about them. So I did stick mostly to the original. Here is the list I bought and why.

  • 4lb 12oz Box of Borax- I have used this with my regular detergent and my husband liked the difference it made.
  • 3lb Box of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda- This one gave me some difficulty as I'll explain later.
  • 3lb Oxy Clean Versatile Stain Remover- Walmart didn't have just Oxy Clean anything. So I went with this one because it was Dye and Perfume free. I knew that if I was going to make homemade detergent it was going to need all the help it could get.
  • 2-5.5oz Fels-Naptha Bars - The only reason I bought this instead of the Zote was that it is Purex brand, the same as the laundry detergent that we normally use. I have a couple of children with sensitive skin and Purex seemed to work for them or they have a tolerance for it.
  •  4lb Box of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda
  •   28 oz Bottle of Purex Crystals Laundry Enhancer for Baby Hypoallergenic, Dye Free, Natural Formula are a few of the reasons I bought this over the other scents there were. I never found one that said it was a fabric softener. So I opted to go ahead and buy it anyway.
 All was good I'd had all but one ingredient in my cart. I searched for the last one. The Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda was all I needed and couldn't find it anywhere. Ok I thought no problem I'd probably find it somewhere else. So we went on the the checkout with all our groceries. At the end of the transaction I realized that I was now broke. What does this mean?

  1. We are out of laundry detergent.
  2. I may not be able to make laundry detergent.
  3. We are a family of six. Laundry detergent is a must!
  4. What happens if I go into labor and I leave them with no detergent???
Ok no need to panic yet. I'd just go back online and see if there is any alternatives. So I first look through the comments under the post I was going off of. No luck most people wanted to know if it works in a HE washer. It does read the post people. Ok moving on. I look it up on Google. Ok you can bake Baking Soda to make the Washing Soda. Woot! Oh wait it has to be kept in an air tight container or it will just be Baking Soda again. I have kids that help with laundry. Hello, putting the lid back on the container isn't something I can see happening all the time.

Alright so I search a little more and come to another blog that has someone making laundry detergent without the Washing soda. She has reviews! The Space Between Blog this gal had problems finding the Washing Soda as well but for an entirely different reason. My hopes are once again high for this DIY. The problem is I'd already mixed my ingredents and don't know if it will still work the way she says it will. So I try it out. The measurements must be all wrong between the two blogs.  Not impressed with the results. Nothing seemed clean. So I go scrapping the bottom of my purse for change and come up with enough that I think that I can get the Washing Soda without a problem. Back to the store I go. I'm able to find it thank God. I go back and dump all my mixture back into a bucket and add my last ingredient sure it is mixed in good.

Here is the break down of how I got my very first Homemade Laundry detergent made. 
 
Chopping up the Fels-Naptha into manageable pieces

The only kitchen gear I have that is even close to being a grater.

Well it's a start but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Try out another method. Microwave the pieces. Small pieces 20 seconds increments. Until puffy. Then let cool.

Crumbles very nicely after being microwaved.

Mix in all my ingredients.



Now I have a huge batch of laundry detergent that cost me an estimated $24.00 to make. It is reported to last a year of six loads of laundry a week. It is suppose to take the place of fabric softener as well.

I'm not sure will work or if my family can use.  Momma has a plan. Everyone wants to know the low down on handmade soaps right? Well I'm going to have them tested. I even have two perfect people for the job.

My mom- She is perfect because of my dad honestly. My dad works in a shop, cuts wood for a wood burner and doesn't know how to be clean. So his clothes will be perfect to test the cleaning effectiveness of this detergent.

My sister- She has kids just like me but they don't have allergies. She doesn't have a problem telling you what she things. So I'm interested in what she thinks.

Instead of just handing over some containers as is I decided that since they were both kind enough to agree to test this concoction that I would make their samples look pretty while I was at it.

I found these free fancy labels at Ginger's Life of Spice that match some some scrap book paper I already had.

Then because I'm going handmade I hand wrote the directions, ingredients, and a warning to keep it away from children and pets on my print outs. My end results were the picture at the top of the page.

Now to make out my question sheet for everyone to answer about their detergent. Cross your fingers all the results are good ones. Keep an eye on the blog for what we have to say about this laundry detergent.

Do you want to be a reviewer? Great! Here is your chance.
If you want to participate by making laundry detergent of your own and filling out our questionnaire. Click Here  download. Copy and paste it or attach it with your answers to an email. Send it to me at deelikes@yahoo.com. Remember to tell me if you made changes to the ingredients and give the name you'd like me to use in the post.  If I hear from you by April 26,2014 I'll add your review to the Homemade Laundry Review post. 


Post a Comment

Reminder

This blog may contain cookies.